Taylor Serj Tankian T5
Taylor have announced a, specially designed, Serj Tankian signature model of their T5 electro/acoustic hybrid.
Based on the T5-C, the STSM-T5 has been tweaked using Tankian’s input to this sleek beast.
It features a thinline body of sapele with a maple top. the top features two, fancy-looking f-holes (which are unbound). The body is finished in a (very) gloss black and is bound in (very) bright red.
The same red binding edges the fingerboard and the headstock. The red theme is also carried into the inlays which feature a red ‘energy wheel’ design from Tankian.
As you’d expect, there is plenty of versatility in the sound department with electric and acoustic tones on tap. The guitar has three magnetic pickups. One humbucker is cunningly hidden under the fingerboard. Another humbucker is visible in the bridge position and an acoustic body sensor is mounted to the inside of the top. Rock things up or mellow things out at the flick of a 5-way switch.
Incidentally, the switching arrangement allows the following options:
- Position 1. Under-fretboard humbucker + body sensor in series (acoustic)
- Position 2. Under-fretboard humbucker (dark & round)
- Position 3. Bridge humbucker (twang to crunch)
- Position 4. Bridge humbucker + under-fretboard humbucker in parallel (50’s hollowbody)
- Position 5. Bridge humbucker + under-fretboard humbucker in series (thick, bright & full)
Scale length is 24 7/8″. An ebony fingerboard – over a sapele neck – carries 21 frets. The bridge is also ebony. Both the nut and saddle are – as they should be – bone.
The Serj Tankian T5 is a very good-looking twist on the regular T5 and we quite like it. Unfortunately, we can’t afford one – recommended retail is US$3198.
More at Taylor